Skip to main content

The Tanganyika Lake



      We all have moments in our lives that we will never forget, the moment that makes us...us. I am that person who always wants to learn new things. When I want to know about something I do not wait until someone shows or teaches me. And all that is because of him. He told me “don't ever wait until they show you, do it first then ask for help if needed”

       When I was twelve  years old, I lived with my grandparents because they were living by themselves so they asked my parents if I could stay with them. I loved it, because they’d give me anything I wanted, and all they wanted was for me to feel loved by them.
     As the only child living with them I had to do almost nothing myself. I didn’t have to clean my own room, clothes, shoes or to make my own bed. They even fed me. I loved them very  much. I never wanted to go home.
    But my mother wanted to live closer to her parents so my family decided to move, and when they did they moved closer to lake Tanganyika, one of the deepest lake in the world.
    It is a freshwater lake with beautiful beaches and some of the most delicious fish. I hated the fact that my family had to move because now I could no longer live with my grandparent’s and I was not able to get everything that I wanted anymore. I was not the youngest in the family anymore.

      Although I was no longer the youngest in the family  I was still able to hangout with my grandpa as always because he loved so much and I was so helpful, and  friendly to him. In he taught me many things that I never thought I will know.


     I remember one day my grandpa and I went to lake Tanganyika to fish. At that time I didn’t know how to swim but I pretended that I did. This was because I didn’t want him to know that I didn't know how to swim. Before we got in the water he asked me, “ Heri, do you know how to swim?”

    “Of course grandpa, you know your boy is good at swimming. I can swim as fast as a fish”, I answered.
    “ Haha”, he laughed, “do you know where are we going?” he asked.
    “Let's just goooo” I replied.
     We got into a small boat and went onto the lake without a single life jacket.  I was very nervous. After we went far away from land, my grandpa asked again                      “Heri, do you really know how to swim?”
     At the time I was wearing some of my favorite shoes that my mom bought for me as a Christmas gift.
    “Those are fancy shoes” he said
    “They must be so expensive” he added
    “Of course they are, you know I am not cheap” I replied loudly
    “May I see them?” he asked
     I thought he wanted to look at them but he took one shoe, threw it in the water, and then he told me to go get it. I was very, very  terror-stricken.
    “Are you crazy?” I asked, with tears
     When he saw me crying, he asked me, “why are you crying?”
      I didn't answer.
     Then he told me, “from now on you should learn to never lie to old people, and never pretend to know something that is important to you. You wanna know something!! Learn it first then ask for help if needed. Since you waited for someone to teach you, then you will have to get your shoe on your own”
     When he explained that, I stopped crying for a moment and instead watched him.
      Then I asked him “Well, if you knew that I didn’t know how to swim then why did  you throw my shoes into the water? Do you want me to die?”
      He laughed, shattering me.
     “No my friend, let’s swim.” he replied
      When I looked at my shoe it was moving even far from the boat. I could have let it go but my mom would have killed me. Although it was very risky, I jumped to get my fancy shoe. It wasn’t that easy. But I tried my best.
    I swallowed  a lot of water and that’s when he came and pull me back into the boat. I hated my grandfather in that moment, but that is the moment that I will never forget for the rest of my life.

Image result for lake tanganyika kigoma
Related image








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New World

Imagine entering a place where your eyes are open but you cannot see, your ears are hearing but you cannot understand and your lips are moving but you cannot speak. That’s how I felt when I first entered  high school in America. Everything I faced was new - moving from class to class, bells ringing , standing in the line for lunch . I felt like I was dreaming. I also felt like it was going too fast, especially the teaching and the talking, the walking in the hallway, watching them staring at me and then laughing loudly . In my freshman year I was placed in ESL ( English as a Second Language) classes. It was Monday morning during second period. As ESL students we were told to make a conversation with a native English speaker to practice our English pronunciation. One of the African-American students picked me to talk to.    "Hi!” I said, “My name is Heri, what is your name?"    “My name is Abigail,” she said.    “How old are you?” she asked.    “I am

The Path

Jack was a young boy whose father died when he was just three years old. He lived with his mother. Life was not easy for them because his mother was disabled, she could not work or do any hard labor. Before Jack’s father died he left a little money so his son could get an education. Ten years later when Jack was 13 years old he lost his mother. so he went to live with his uncle. His uncle had a wife and two kids. Jack's new family, including his uncle, disliked Jack. A year later Jack stopped going to school because his uncle did not want to pay for his education. Jack's uncle said “ I rather waste all my money for nothing than educate a child who is not mine. Wasting money is better than that”. Due to a stony life Jack started to work at 14 years old so that he could feed himself and pay for his education. As a 14 year old young boy he could not cope with the challenge of taking care of himself and his education. He couldn’t handle it so he decided stop